Saturday, January 9, 2010

Be careful...

Words I've never said to any of my ski racers. Words I've never said to Scott at any time in his life. Being careful isn't part of the formula for great racers. Great racers certainly get scared at times, but they convert that fear into sonething else -- intensity, anger, determination. They never compensate for fear and become cautious. In a game of hundredths (at this year's Birds of Prey downhill, the top three finishers were within .004 of a second) there's no room for caution or self doubt.

Earlier this week Scott and I went to Snow King, WY to tune-up four days before a big race series. The first day we were free skiing and Scott dropped down off a cat track, swooped back up, and did a 360 degree spin. Fine. On the next chair lift up he said, "I'm going to do a 720 next run." Now I've been around the block, watched some 720's and sort of understand the deal. This junp had an uphill landing and not enough speed. I've also learned that in life its the dumb stuff that gets ya. So I said, "Are you sure that's what you want to do just before a train-up. Scott's reply was, "Dad, if I can't do this, I might as well quit skiing. Skiing is about freedom." I immediately backed off, sorry that I almost said "Be careful."

Scott stuck a perfect 680 and came down hard. He shook himself up and had a stiff neck for several days, but never complained. Neither one of us never brought the subject up again. So that afternoon Scott wanted to test his new hockey stick, so I dropped him off at the Jackson Fairgrounds outdoor rink. Three hours later I got a call, "Dad, better come get me," He'd entered a pick-up hockey game and now needed seven stitches on his chin. Everything is good. He's proud of his scar, and he's not going to be any more careful in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment